Betsy DeVos, the Koch Brothers and their fellow anti-union, public school privatizers are aggressively working to dismantle the employment rights of public school teachers in California and throughout the country.
Within hours of the recent landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Janus vs. AFSCME — a case bankrolled by the wealthy anti-labor forces looking to get richer on the backs of the middle class — the Michigan-based Mackinac Center for Public Policy, using the campaign “My Pay My Say,” flooded public-school teachers nationwide with emails advising them how to leave their unions.
The Freedom Foundation, a Washington-based anti-worker organization funded by out-of-state billionaires want to keep wages low, eliminate paid sick leave and slash critical funding for education. They have recently taken out Facebook ads targeting all of our members to drop their union membership and have reportedly hired 80 full-time employees and sent them to California, Oregon and Washington to encourage people to quit their unions.
The Mackinac Center, the Freedom Foundation, the Choice for Teachers, The California Teachers Empowerment Network, all sound nice enough, but they aren’t. They may call themselves “think tanks” and operate as non-profits but they actually serve as fronts for public education privatizers who want to weaken our union.
Spread the Word
Save and share to social media.
If You See Something, Say Something
- Beware of emails, Facebook ads, and websites
- Research where the content is coming from.
- If you receive a strange email from one of these thinktanks, mark it as spam.
- Alert your CTA staff person to any drop campaigns targeting your chapter members.
Resources for Leaders
- Sample flyer if targeted by a drop-campaign
- Know Your Rights and Protect Yourself From Deceptive Freedom Foundation
- Freedom Foundation Sample Email
- Freedom Foundation Legal Advisory
- Opt-out Freedom Foundation Flyer
- Sample E-mail to Members
- How to Mark E-mail as Spam
- Read how leaders are responding: San Ramon Valley Education Association, Campbell Elementary Teachers Association, Campbell High School Teachers Association
Links and More Information
- ALEC’s New Union-Busting Toolkit Illustrates the Goal Is to Bankrupt Unions Not Protect Workers
- The economy is booming, your salary is not: Blame the decline of unions
- With Onslaught of Emails and Ads, Conservative Groups Push Teachers to Drop Their Unions
- Battle ramps up to convince California school employees to withhold union fees
- After ‘Janus’: Labor’s Recommitment Campaigns Energize the Rank and File
- Koch Brothers-Linked Group Declares New War on Unions
- NEA President: We Will Fight the ‘Drop Your Membership’ Campaigns, Post Janus
- Koch-Funded Mackinac Center Brings Wisconsin Act 10 Provisions to ALEC
- The Mackinac Center and Why It’s Trying to Destroy Michigan Education Association (And Unions Across the Country)
- Mackinac Center Exposed: Who’s running Michigan?
- Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- More information on Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- Carrying Water for the Kochs, Mackinac Center Misleads on Professional Licensing
- New reports show power of corporatist groups like Mackinac Center to implement statewide policies/laws benefiting corporations
- Northwest Accountability Project