OEA Contract Ratified! Fight for Public Schools Will Continue
Oakland educators are raising their voices together for their students, their community, and for public education. Their union, Oakland Education Association (OEA), is fighting to end the teacher retention crisis and provide a great education for every student, regardless of their zip code. They have been working without a contract for a year and a half and have engaged in extensive negotiations with their district. Their demands outline a vision for building the public school system that Oakland families deserve.
Oakland educators are striking for:
✅ Smaller class sizes
✅ More student supports
✅ A living wage
✅ No school closures
Take Action for Oakland Educators
- Donate to support Oakland educators and students
- In the Bay Area? Here are some ways you can support Oakland educators on the ground:
- Parent of an OUSD student? Check out this thorough guide created by fellow OUSD parents on how to support educators on strike
- Sign up to volunteer with Bread for Ed
- Sign up to Adopt a Striking School and provide extra support to OEA educators on strike. You do not have to be local to the Bay Area to participate.
- Share your support for Oakland Educators and students on social media. CTA’s #RedForEd Digital Toolkit has sample social media posts and shareable graphics to add some flair to your posts.
- Sign this petition to send a message of support. We will be sharing these messages with members of OEA in the coming weeks.Sign OEA’s petition in support of OUSD educator Kampala Taiz-Rancifer: Oakland Educators fighting for quality public education for their students were met with news in December that Oakland Unified School District (OUSD)used performance evaluations to punish one of their fellow union activists. Demand OUSD stop retaliation against Kampala Taiz-Rancifer, veteran OUSD teacher at EnCompass Academy. Sign their petition today.
- Pass a Resolution in Support of OEA. Your local chapter can take action to show solidarity with OEA– pass a resolution of support! Sample resolution language here.
Learn more about the fight for public education in Oakland
- Follow OEA on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates and beautiful photos from their community actions and art builds.
- Check out their January newsletter for more in-depth updates.
- Visit their website for updates and more information on the struggles educators are facing in Oakland.
- News highlights:
- Oakland Teachers Strike for Better Lives, NY Mag
- “Out Here Because I Love Teaching”: The Oakland Teachers Strike, In Photos, In These Times
- The wave of teacher protests lands in Oakland, Calif., Washington Post
- Why Oakland teachers are going to strike, OEA President Keith Brown in SF Chronicle
- Teachers are leading a national workers’ revolt. Oakland may be next., Vox
- I’m an Oakland Teacher—Here’s Why I’m Prepared to Strike, Bold Italic
- Oakland teachers announce strike date for Thursday, Feb. 21, ABC7
- How a Small School’s Impending Closure Became a Rallying Cry for Oakland Teachers, Mother Jones
- Oakland Teachers Are on the Verge of a Strike, Jacobin
- Oakland Teachers Gain City Council Ally As Strike Looms, California Educator
- Oakland teachers vote overwhelmingly to authorize a strike and win city council support, EdSource
- Oakland Educators Vote to Authorize Strike, California Educator
- Oakland students, parents rally to save Roots International Academy, KRON 4
- Protest at Oakland School Board meeting over budget cuts and school closures, ABC7
- Oakland Unified Teachers, Students Participate in Walkout, March, NBC Bay Area