Total messages of support for UTLA and OEA educators as of January 17th
Want to send your own message of support to educators fighting for public education?
California #RedForEd Highlights and Resources:
- Photos from UTLA’s historic “Let the Sunshine in Rally”and CTA’s Statewide #RedForEd Day of Action on Friday, Jan. 18
- View pics from the January 11 Walk-In
- Recap of the Walk-in on January 11 in California Educator
- #RedForEd Flyer for parents available here. Also in Spanish here.
- Tips for planning a walk-in
CTA President Eric Heins joined fellow educators for their Walk-In at Rosa Parks K-8 in Sacramento
UTLA IS ON STRIKE FOR STUDENTS AND FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION!
1/22/19 UPDATE: On Tuesday morning, UTLA announced a Tentative Agreement has been reached with LAUSD. Members on strike will now vote on the TA. STAY TUNED!
Must read: L.A. Students Win: UTLA reaches Tentative Agreement, California Educator
Resources and highlights from the strike line:
- Send a message of solidarity and support to educators on the strike line.
- Check out their Strike Watch for the latest updates on the strike.
- Visit their Facebook page to see live footage of the strike actions.
- Visit our digital toolkit for shareable graphics and sample social media posts to share your support.
- Must Reads –>
- Learn more about the fight for public education at wearepublicschools.org
- Follow UTLA on Facebook and Twitter to stay updated on next steps!
Take Action: Pass a Resolution in Support of OEA and UTLA
Your local chapter can take action to show solidarity with OEA and UTLA – pass a resolution of support! Sample resolution here.
Solidarity with Oakland Educators Fighting for their Students
Thousands marched the streets of Oakland for public education on January 12. See below for highlights from the march and next steps:
- Follow OEA on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates and beautiful photos from their community actions and art builds.
- Take Action! Oakland Educators fighting for quality public education for their students were met with news in December that Oakland Unified School District used performance evaluations to punish one of their fellow union activists. Take action today to demand OUSD stop retaliation against Kampala Taiz-Rancifer is a veteran OUSD teacher at EnCompass Academy. Sign their petition today.
- Must Read & Watch: Oakland Unified Teachers, Students Participate in Walkout, March, NBC Bay Area
Why do we wear Red for Ed?
When we think about the promise of education today, we see the future leaders of our nation and the qualified educators who reach, teach and inspire them. We see classrooms with modern tools that help students prepare to make an impact on the world. We see students getting the support they need to thrive and educators having the support they need to serve.
We see progress and hope.
But today we also see budgets being cut, overcrowded classrooms and outdated materials. We see educators working around the clock to make a difference in the lives of their students and standing up to lawmakers to ask for better pay and school funding. We’re raising our voices together for our students, for our schools and for ourselves as educators.
That’s why we’re wearing Red for Ed.
Fighting for Our Students
Budget cuts and underfunding have made it harder for educators to prepare their students. Our students deserve better, and so do we. That’s why we push public officials to make funding decisions that better account for school needs.
Upholding Our Value
Students benefit from educators who know them by name, know their community and have a say in the policies that govern their schools. We must ensure that talented educators can afford to stay in the profession they love.
Advocating for Change
CTA and NEA gives educators a voice to advocate for the better pay, benefits and working conditions that have long been ignored. We deserve, and have earned, pay and benefits that match our expertise, education and professional experience.
Share on Social Media
- Join our Facebook Take Action group
- Use #RedForEd #RedForPublicED and #WeAreCTA on Twitter and Instagram
Sample Social Media Posts
Click to tweet→ I’m wearing #RedForEd today to support public education, our students and the teaching profession!
Click to tweet → We wear #RedForEd to support California teachers and educators across the country who are fighting for decent pay and the quality public education our students deserve! #WeAreCTA
News + Links
- NEA Red for Ed
- NEA Red for Ed Toolkit
- Here’s What Teachers Accomplished With Their Protests This Year
- The Economic Outlook for Millennials Is Bleak. Now They’re Unionizing in Record Numbers