May 22 Day of Action FAQs
May 22 Day of Action FAQs
- What is the schedule of events?
The schedule for the day:
8:00 a.m. – Presidents Lobby Day orientation and lobbying begins
11:00 a.m. – Rally at the Serna Center (SCUSD District Office, 5735 47th Ave, Sacramento) to support Sacramento educators and students (lunch provided there)
1:00 p.m. – Leave the Serna Center for the Capitol
2:00 p.m. – March in downtown and in/around the Capitol
4:00 p.m. – Entertainment begins
5:00 p.m. – Rally begins
6:00 p.m. – Rally ends
- Is there a meeting place for those who arrive early?
There will be activities at the Capitol from 2:00 p.m. on (with lunch available there from about 11:30 A.M. to 1:00 p.m.). You may also join the 11:00 a.m. rally at the Sac City Unified School District Office (Serna Center, 5735 47th Ave, Sacramento) to support Sacramento educators and students. Lunch will be served there, as well.
- Is there any special apparel for the event?
Yes, please wear red for ed!
- Signs, Sign Making, Sticks, etc.…
Bring your own, make some on site, rules/restrictions
- Is there a contact number for the event or any other way to get additional information?
Before the event, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Beginning the morning of May 22, we will have a phone hotline open for immediate assistance. But, as always, if you face an emergency during the event, dial 911 as soon as possible.
- How are carpools to the event being coordinated?
Local chapter leadership or staff from the various areas where rides have been offered or are needed will work to facilitate carpooling (please contact your chapter leadership or staff if you need or can offer a ride). We also encourage you to visit CTA’s Facebook event page for the Day of Action to coordinate carpools from your area.
- Are coolers, food, and/or alcoholic beverages allowed on the Capitol grounds?
- Are there buses still available to come to the event?
There may be, on a limited basis. We have buses leaving from Oakland, Concord, Richmond, Albany, San Francisco, and Los Angeles at various times of the day. There may be seats still available on some of those buses. Please contact your local leaders/staff or email email@example.com if you are interested, giving the location you’d want to leave from and your contact information.
- What are the public transportation options for getting to the Capitol?
Yes, please see our Transportation and Parking Options sheet for more details.
- Will there be any dedicated airport shuttles to the Capitol?
No, there will not be a dedicated airport shuttle (the Capitol is about 15 minutes south of the airport via cab/ride share, and CTA will reimburse that expense, per our expense reimbursement guidelines).
- Will there be reimbursement for carpooling?
Yes, a Member Expense Statement (MES) for mileage, along with any applicable parking expense, can be submitted for reimbursement. In addition to any other relevant expense reimbursement guidelines, please note that you must include a Google Map screenshot showing distance you traveled to/from the event.
- Will there be reimbursement for cab/ride share?
Yes, pursuant to the expense reimbursement guidelines.
- Where will there be parking in Sacramento?
If you are going to the Sacramento City Teachers Association event at 11:00 a.m., be sure to leave plenty of time to get there early to find parking. There is only street parking in that area, and you should not attempt to park in the District Office or nearby business lots.
If you are going straight to the CTA rally at the Capitol, there are many easy options. Please see our Transportation and Parking Options sheet for more details. Of course, in either case, we recommend carpooling or using public transportation.
- Will parking have in and out access?
That will depend on the parking lot you chose, but most likely not. Because the CTA-run parking will open shortly before 2 p.m., you likely won’t have time to come in and out before the rally, and if you do leave the lot it may be full by the time you return.
- What time does the last shuttle leave the Capitol to go back to the parking lot?
The last shuttle will leave a half hour after the event ends.
- Will lunch be provided?
There will be boxed lunches provided at the Sac City Teachers Association event, and a limited number at the Capitol beginning at 11;30 a.m. (primarily for early arrivers and the Presidents who are lobbying that day).
- What are we fighting for? What are the specifics of the changes we seek?
We are rallying for much-needed increases in school funding, for common sense charter school reform legislation, and for the quality education our students need and deserve. For specific more information, please visit www.cta.org/en/Issues-and-Action/Charter-Schools.aspx and cta.org/RedForEd
- Can I take my students on the bus?
Yes, if you, or some other adult, are with the student while on the bus and throughout the day and have permission from the students’ parents/guardians. DO YOU WE HAVE A COPY OF THE PERMISSION SLIP?
- Can I take my baby on the bus?
Yes, if you are with your baby, or any other minor companion, while on the bus.
- Are we marching to the Capitol Building?
There will be a short march at 2:00 p.m. starting near the west steps of the Capitol that will proceed through downtown, ending back at/in the Capitol.
- What time are we scheduled to return from Sacramento on the buses?
The out-of-town buses will leave immediately after the rally from their designated departure locations (you bus captain will tell you where that is on the ride to the Capitol). The last shuttle bus to the CTA parking lots will leave 30 minutes after the rally ends. In either case, do not be late… the bus/shuttle will leave without you if you are not there by departure time!
- Can I leave my stuff on the bus during the day?
Yes, you can, but it may not be safe. So, while you may leave the snacks and food that may be provided on your bus, do not plan to leave your valuables (as we cannot guarantee their safety).
- What if I park at a meter using change and don’t get a receipt?
See the expense reimbursement guidelines
- Mobility Question (at Capitol)
- Incorporate “Tip for a Successful Rally” from last page of bus kit here
Tips for a successful Rally:
- Plan to have a fully charged cell phone for use at the rally.
- Buddy-up with 1 or 2 other riders, stick together.
- If you are not at the loading site on ______________and everyone is on board, the bus will leave.
- If you decide not to take the bus home, contact your bus captain; we don’t want to delay departure.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Hat suggested.
- Bring your own water bottle to stay hydrated.
- The rally will be on the sunny side of the Capitol, use sunscreen.